Natural hair is the symbol of empowerment, natural beauty, and so much more. To embrace natural hair means to put a lot of effort, patience, and money into your hair care routine. Natural hair can be wild, frizzy, and very frustrating to manage especially during humid days. But when you see it in all its glory, you’d know it’s all worth it.
To maintain shiny and manageable natural hair, it is important to use suitable hair products. It’s not as easy as it sounds. There are various products in the market that may not work for you. Building the perfect hair care routine is full of trials and errors. Luckily, we discovered the best product that can help grow and manage natural hair – castor oil! We’ve listed the top three methods you can use castor oil for your natural hair.
How Castor Oil Saves Natural Hair from Damage
Before we discuss the benefits of castor oil for natural hair, let’s talk about what natural hair is and why you should keep it.
What is Natural Hair?
Being natural means not using chemicals or other products that can alter hair texture and shape. Many women use relaxers to straighten their hair. However, it costs money to maintain relaxed hair. You need to visit professional hairstylists at least once every two weeks to take care of new hair growth. Frequent chemical treatments wear down your hair too. It’s not bad to have relaxed hair as long as you protect your hair from damage. It’s a personal choice if you want to grow out your natural hair, but it saves you a lot of time, effort, and money in the future.
Relaxing or changing your hair’s texture, shape, and color is very damaging. It alters the physical structure of your hair. Since curly and kinky hair are already dry and brittle, using chemical treatments can further damage your hair. They can cause extensive damage to your hair, scalp, and follicles if you do them incorrectly. Natural hair is very healthy because it is not exposed to chemicals and other harmful ingredients.
What Are the Benefits of Using Castor Oil on Natural Hair
Natural hair is very dry and frizzy. If you don’t take care of your hair properly, it becomes brittle and weak. Breakage is common for curly and kinky hair. You can avoid it by using castor oil. Castor oil is a curly girl’s best friend. It is rich in moisture and nutrients that can improve how your hair looks and feels. The oil does not only improve hair shine, it strengthens individual strands as well. Here are the benefits of using castor oil on your hair:
- Moisturizes Hair – Natural hair is porous, which makes it hard to retain moisture. However, castor oil is very thick and fast absorbent. It coats the surface of your hair in moisture. Castor oil seeps through layers of cuticles to hydrate hair shaft as well. This helps maintain moisture all day long.
- Prevents Frizziness – Frizziness happens when cuticle layers lift up from the body of a strand, allowing moisture to expand the hair shaft. The thickness of castor oil helps seal any gap between cuticle layers. The oil makes the cuticles stick to the hair shaft as well, to prevent frizziness.
- Repairs Damaged Hair – Castor oil helps manage and reduce hair damage such as split ends and breakage. The oil is rich in moisture and nutrients that create a protective layer on hair strands. Castor oil strengthens the strands as well so they become more resilient against damage.
- Prevents Hair Loss – Castor oil has DHT-blocking properties that prevent hair loss. It prevents hair damage from spreading so the rest of your healthy hair don’t get affected. The oil has therapeutic effects that soothe inflammation and speeds up blood circulation. Castor oil ensures that your hair follicles receive nourishment necessary for hair growth.
- Stimulates Hair Growth – You can improve hair growth when you use castor oil on your scalp. The nutrients found in castor oil stimulate hair follicles, which in turn, promote hair growth. The oil helps improve the thickness and volume of your hair too. Find out more about castor oil’s benefits for hair growth.
3 Ways to Use Castor Oil for Natural Hair Care Routine
Castor oil is very versatile and there are many ways you can use it to manage natural hair. Here are the three easy ways you can use castor oil in your hair care routine.
Castor Oil Leave-In Conditioner
Castor oil is the perfect conditioner for natural hair because of its thick viscosity. It moisturizes your hair for a long time and makes it shinier too. Compared to normal conditioners, castor oil locks the moisture in your hair so your hair looks fuller and thicker. Here’s how to use it as leave-in conditioner:
- After shower, pat your hair dry.
- Apply the oil starting from the tips of your hair going to the roots. Gently comb your hair using fingers to detangle knots.
- Leave it on hair and remove excess oil by patting your hair dry.
- Style your hair any way you want!
If you have fine hair, avoid applying the oil on your roots. You should also dilute it with light oils like almond oil to prevent castor oil from weighing your hair down.
Castor Oil Hot Oil Treatment
This hot oil treatment will help stimulate hair growth and revive your hair. It reduces signs of hair damage too. Do this hair treatment at least once a week to see the difference:
- Wet your hair using warm water. Make sure it is not dripping wet.
- Put enough oil in a glass bowl to cover the entire length of your hair. The amount depends on how long and thick your hair is.
- Warm the oil in the microwave. Don’t let it boil or become too hot.
- Apply the oil from the scalp towards the tips of your hair.
- Massage the oil on scalp for five minutes using circular motion.
- Wrap your hair in a shower cap and cover it with towel. Leave it on hair for 30 minutes to 1 hour. You can leave it overnight too.
- Wash your hair with your favorite shampoo using lukewarm water.
Wetting your hair before applying the oil helps hydrate the strands and prevent hygral fatigue. Hygral fatigue happens when you wet and dry your hair frequently, which wears on the hair shaft. It increases hair porosity and makes your tresses less elastic. When you apply the oil, it locks in the moisture so the strands stay thick even when it dries. Meanwhile, warming the oil improves its absorption rate. It helps with blood circulation too.
Castor Oil Hair Serum
You can use this hair serum as a quick fix for frizzy hair or as protective serum before you style your hair. You can adjust the recipe and amount of this DIY hair serum. Here’s the recipe:
- 4 tablespoons castor oil
- 2 tablespoons argan oil
- 15 drops of lavender oil
- ¼ cup of purified water
How to Prepare:
- Put purified water in a small container.
- Add castor oil and argan oil first before lavender oil.
- Mix and shake well before use.
Use a few spritzes of the serum to moisturize your hair all throughout the day. It helps protect your hair from damage too when you style or blow-dry your locks.
Maintaining the luster of natural hair becomes easier when you use castor oil. This moisture and nutrient-rich oil will make your natural hair more beautiful. There are other ways you can use castor oil to make natural hair shinier, softer, and stronger too. Try using the oil to see its wonderful benefits for your hair. Check out this page to find out where you can buy high-quality castor oil.