Castor oil is a very convenient and affordable product with a lot of uses. But did you know there’s a different type of castor oil that has been around for a long period of time? Jamaican black castor oil sounds new, but it is actually a cultural staple for the Jamaican people.
What is Jamaican Black Castor Oil?
Jamaican black castor oil is a type of castor oil used mostly in Jamaica for years. The castor seed plant made its way to the Caribbean from Africa via slave trade. Historically, making black castor oil was one of the traditions Africans brought to the Caribbean. This was adapted by slaves who used this oil as a substitute for medicines they never had any access to.
Jamaican black castor oil, sometimes referred to as JBCO, is a multi-purpose oil used for therapeutic purposes. Some examples include rubbing this oil on the stomach to relieve menstrual cramps and abdominal pains.
How is Jamaican Black Castor Oil Made?
The process of making Jamaican black castor oil is tedious compared to making regular castor oil. The castor seeds are roasted and crushed into powder form. The powder is later boiled, usually in a pot, for long periods of time. Longer boiling periods allow the oil to resurface.
The process is repeated until there’s no water left in the pot. It turns into a sticky and heavy textured oil that also contains ash. The ash gives the oil a slightly darker color.
Jamaican Castor Oil vs. Regular Castor Oil
Color and extraction process are just some of the differences between Jamaican black castor oil and regular castor oil. Jamaican black castor oil turns into a dark brown or black color with a burnt nutty scent, while regular castor oil comes in a pale yellow one. Extracting Jamaican black castor oil involves roasting the seeds whereas regular castor oil only requires cold pressing or solvent extraction.
Another difference between them is their pH level. Regular castor is more acidic with a low pH level. This is the ideal pH level for the skin’s protective layer to remain intact. JBCO, on the other hand, has a high pH level. The ash content of this type of castor oil makes it lean more towards the alkaline side. JBCO’s alkaline properties make it suitable for hair to absorb anti-oxidants since it functions best at a high pH level.
What are the Benefits of Using Jamaican Black Castor Oil?
The benefits are infinite when it comes to this versatile oil, from pain relief to beauty treatments. Jamaican black castor oil is rich in Omega Fatty Acids and Vitamin E. These nutrients do wonderful things for your skin and hair. Here are several examples of how JBCO improves your complexion and tresses.
What it Does for your Hair
Jamaican black castor oil has been a favorite among women with naturally curly or kinky hair. Women with this type of hair strands tend to use this oil as a natural conditioner to achieve soft and moisturized hair. The oil effectively tames frizzy hair while making smoother, especially in humid conditions.
Jamaican black castor oil helps treat alopecia. It has the same properties as regular castor oil since it also contains ricinoleic acid. Ricinoleic acid is a kind of compound known to promote healthy hair growth and prevent hair loss. It is one of the factors that strengthens and thickens hair.
This oil helps treat thinning edges caused by tight braids and pulled-back hairstyles. You can prevent hair breakage and split ends by applying this to your hair.
Having problems with itchiness and dandruff? This natural anti-bacterial oil relieves itchy and dry scalp. Relieving itchy and dry scalp is the first step in getting rid of flakiness from your hair.
Your hair on top of your head is not the only thing that can benefit from using this oil. Jamaican black castor oil is an effective treatment for eyebrow growth. Want to know how? Visit this page to find out more.
What it Does for your Skin
Using Jamaican black castor oil on your skin is very effective. The anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties of this oil help treat ringworms, athlete’s foot, and other fungal infections. Other skin conditions Jamaican black castor can treat include skin abrasions, dry skin, eczema, and wounds.
Jamaican black castor oil clears away acne and skin inflammation. Applying castor oil on your skin daily tightens your pores, balances oil production, and gradually heals blemishes and scars. It also helps soothe sunburn, repair damaged cells, and reduce redness on your skin.
If you are looking for an all-natural anti-aging product, Jamaican black castor oil is the answer. This oil is an excellent anti-aging product that helps fade fine lines and wrinkles. JBCO does this by stimulating collagen production. This leaves your skin firm and youthful-looking.
Jamaican black castor oil also helps moisturize and relieve dry and chapped lips. This is quite useful during winter months or if you live in an extremely dry environment.
How to Use Jamaican Black Castor Oil?
Here are some ways to use Jamaican castor oil.
Ways to Use for Hair, Eyelashes, and Eyebrows
- Directly apply a small amount of oil to hair and scalp. Massage it thoroughly to stimulate scalp growth. Leave it overnight then rinse your hair with water in the morning.
- Part of the curly hair community? A hot oil treatment once a week will help manage those curls. Mix the Jamaican black castor oil with Argan or coconut oil in an empty bottle. Place the bottle in boiling hot water and let it sit for 5 minutes. Apply the oil mixture from root to tip. Wear a plastic shower cap on your hair and let it sit for 30 minutes. Rinse out the oil afterward.
- This oil works great as a pre-shampoo treatment. Pre-shampooing tames and detangles your hair strands, which makes it an excellent treatment for curly hair. Apply a generous amount of oil on wet hair from root to tip. Massage it to your scalp and let the oil sit for 30 minutes. Place a plastic shower cap or cling film around your hair. Shampoo and condition your hair in the shower after the 30 minutes is up.
- Not only does this oil promote lash growth, it promotes beard growth too. Wash your face before pouring a few drops of oil onto the palm of your hand. Apply the oil to your beard. Leave it on for 40 minutes to an hour, then rinse.
- Want to get thick and voluminous lashes? Apply Jamaican black castor oil on the top of your lash line with a cotton swab or mascara wand. Leave it overnight and wash it off the next day. Find out more ways to maintain thick and longer lashes by checking out this page.
Ways to Use for your Skin
- Double cleansing is a trend that’s been gaining a lot of attention nowadays. People are double cleansing to remove the leftover makeup and dirt on their skin. This prevents clogged pores that lead to the formation of acne. Using Jamaican black castor oil first step cleanser to remove your makeup is a great idea. Simply apply the oil to the palm of your hands. Rub both your hands to warm up the oil then gently massage it to your face. Rinse your face afterward with lukewarm water then use a foaming cleanser.
- You can include Jamaican black castor oil in your skin care routine by using it as a replacement for your usual night cream. Apply the oil as the last step of your skin care routine after washing your face and applying serums. Jamaican black castor oil is safe to use on the skin and doesn’t clog your pores.
- Want to get rid of pesky acne? This oil is great to use as a spot treatment for acne. Cleanse your skin then apply the oil on problem areas. In the morning, soak a washcloth in warm water and gently wipe away the oil. Repeat this step twice a week for better results.
- Jamaican black castor oil can soften dry and cracked heels. Massage a few drops of castor oil mixed with an essential oil of your choice to your heels. Soak your feet in warm water for 20 to 30 minutes to get softer heels.
- DIY lip balm: Take 5 drops of Jamaican castor oil, 1 tablespoon of beeswax or coconut oil, and a few drops of essential oil of your choice. Place all ingredients in a container and microwave. Stir the mixture once in liquid form. Place liquid mixture in a lip balm container and put in the fridge overnight to solidify.
Jamaican black castor oil is worth trying out if you want to level up your skin or hair care routine. The health and beauty benefits make it a great oil for you to keep in your house.