Principle of Hair Growth
The hair growth cycle consists of three phases. Each phase has important functions throughout the hair’s life span.
ANAGEN (Growth Phase) – The anagen phase constitutes 90% the hair growth cycle. During this stage, blood vessels at the hair bulb provide nourishment to the hair follicle to enable growth. This lasts between 3 to 6 years, equivalent to about 1000 days or more.
CATAGEN (Transitional Phase) – Over a few weeks, hair growth slows down. The hair follicle shrinks and detaches from the sustaining blood supply. This lasts about 2 to 3 weeks, equivalent to 10 days average.
TELOGEN (Resting Phase) – The old hair detaches from the hair follicle. This prepares the hair follicle for the development in a new hair shaft. This marks the beginning of a new cycle. The hair follicle may stay in sedentary state for about 1 to 4 months, equivalent to 100 days average.
What Castor Oil Does for Hair Growth
Castor oil contains essential nutrients that promote hair growth. Anyone can benefit from this amazing oil because it is suitable for all hair types. It improves hair texture from the roots to the tips, preventing split ends. For hair growth, it works in multiple-action to ensure the hair grows naturally long and strong.
- Strengthens Hair – Keratin is a type of protein that makes up hair. It is the same structural material making up the outer layer of skin and nails. The protein found in castor oil supports hair growth by making hair tough so it won’t fall off easily.
- Repairs and Nourishes Damaged Strands – Castor oil absorbs quickly to each hair strand. It leaves a coating that is rich in Vitamin E, which helps repair damaged hair follicles. This restores your hair’s natural glossy texture.
- Lengthens Hair – Ricinoleic acid is an omega-9 fatty acid uniquely found in castor oil. This compound provides nourishment and stimulates blood circulation in the follicles to promote rapid hair growth.
- Moisturizes Hair – Castor oil has a moisture-rich composition that is effective at keeping hair and scalp hydrated. It conditions hair by leaving a thin coating on each strand to lock in moisture and keep hair soft and smooth as it grows.
Preparing the Castor Oil
Applying castor oil for hair growth is sure easy-peasy. Whether it is your first time to use it, or you are a certified castor oil buff, it’s always going to be fun and worthwhile. Since castor oil is super rich, it usually comes in very thick nature. Most users enjoy using it when diluted first.
Diluting castor oil not only helps improve the texture of the oil, it provides added benefits from other ingredients as well. Here’s a great recipe you can try and the steps to prepare it for easier application.
- 3 tablespoons Castor Oil
- 1 tablespoon Jojoba Oil or Argan Oil
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- Combine all ingredients in a small jar and seal it with a tight cover.
- Shake well until blended evenly.
- Warm the oil. Pour hot water into a large bowl and immerse the jar in it for 2 to 4 minutes. Make sure no water enters the jar.
- Put the jar out of the water, wipe the drips, and voila – your castor oil for hair growth treatment is READY!
Applying Castor Oil for Hair Growth
Now that your oil mixture is all set, follow these steps for an effective hair growth enhancing treatment using castor oil.
- Prepare yourself. Cover your shoulders with a towel to protect clothes from oil spills or wear older clothes instead. Spritz some water on hair using a spray bottle. The oil works better on damp hair, but not wet.
- Apply the oil to the scalp. Use a glass dropper if available; otherwise use your fingers instead. Massage scalp for 5 minutes to stimulate blood circulation. Distribute oil on the scalp evenly.
- Apply the oil throughout the hair. Put some oil on your palm and run them on your hair from roots to tips.
- Leave overnight. Cover your head with a shower cap to keep furniture from getting oil stains.
- Rinse hair in the morning. Use warm water and massage a regular conditioner to help remove the oil. Shampoo, as usual, to take out excess oil and then towel dry.
- Repeat the process regularly. For best results, do this hair treatment once or twice a week.
Going for the Natural Option
You can apply chemical based hair growth enhancers on your scalp or use the all-natural and vitamin-rich castor oil for hair growth. Natural essential oils are safe and effective for regular use. Picking the right product is important, so can give yourself a favor than failure. Choose 100% cold-pressed castor oil because it is pure, nutrient-rich, and fits any type of hair.