What are Castor Oil Packs?
A castor oil pack is a method of using castor oil for external application. It uses a piece of cloth soaked in castor oil. This is placed on specified area such as legs, back, or knees. Heat is often used to stimulate the oil’s healing properties.
You may put it over certain body parts to support recovery from a wide range of conditions. As your skin absorbs the oil, it soothes sore muscles and inflamed nerves. It also boosts blood circulation.
Using castor oil packs help you relax as you lay still for a few moments. You can read a book or enjoy listening to therapeutic music. Make it fun in your own way. Just make sure it does not involve food. Eating while doing this could turn your relaxing moment into a messy situation.
Castor oil packs have traditional uses on different body parts:
- Strained muscles and painful joints to speed up healing of minor injuries
- Lower abdomen to help women with menstrual cramps and spasms
- Left side of abdomen to support lymphatic system (specifically the spleen, a lymphatic organ that contains white blood cells that fight disease or infection)
- Right side or the whole abdomen area to support the liver and digestive system
- Lower back to soothe back pains or minor injuries
Castor Oil Pack Benefits You’ll Want:
- Improves digestion
- Improves hormonal balance
- Relieves body pains, stiffness, and inflammation
- Helps heal ulcers
- Boosts lymphatic system and the body’s natural immune system
- Supports faster recovery from surgery
- Prevents formation of scar tissues
Why Castor Oil?
Castor oil is an extract of castor seeds. It is classified as a vegetable oil with many uses. It has great benefits for overall wellness. You can use it from head to toe. This essential oil contains fatty acids, protein, and vitamin E. This makes this oil truly valuable.
Ricinoleic acid found in castor oil makes it great for oil packs. A bottle of castor oil has a high concentration of this fatty acid. It amounts to almost 90% of the oil’s composition. This important component has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. It boosts blood circulation and improves the lymphatic system. It helps reduce swelling, muscle strain, and joint pains.
Where to Get Castor Oil Packs
There are readily available castor oil packs in the market today. You can purchase one and use it instantly. Most of these kits include a bottle of castor oil, a cotton flannel, and a wrap-around. A wrap around may have two fastener tape strips to secure the flannel over your area of application. It helps avoid mess and leaking. Therefore, using plastic wraps may not be necessary.
Castor oil packs are available in pharmacies, health stores or online. However, you can get the same castor oil pack benefits by making your own. Do you want to know how? It’s easy.
Preparing Your Own Castor Oil Pack
What You’ll Need:
- Castor Oil
- Cotton flannel or fabric (unbleached and dye-free)
- Plastic wrap
- Hot water bottle or heating pad
- Glass jar or container
- Old clothes, towels or sheets
- Large piece/s of plastic
- Cut a piece of cotton fabric or flannel about 20 by 10 inches. Fold it into three layers, so it would make around 7 by 10 inches. This is perfect for abdomen application. The size of the fabric may depend on the area of application. Just make sure it would make a thick cloth when folded.
- Soak the fabric in castor oil. Put it in the jar. Then add castor oil, one tablespoon at a time to allow it to saturate. You can gently shake the jar between adding oil so it reaches the inside part of the cloth. It is best to do this a day before use for maximum oil absorption.
Note: You can use the same jar for storing castor oil packs. Each castor oil pack may be reused up to 30 times. Add more oil each time or as needed to keep the pack saturated. Replace the fabric when discoloration or rancid smell starts. Take another fabric and start fresh.
Using Your Castor Oil Pack
- Place the large piece of plastic over the area where you will be lying. This will protect your furniture from any oil stains.
- Place old clothes, towels or sheet over the plastic.
- Place the castor oil pack on the affected area.
- Cover with a plastic wrap to contain the oil over the area. This also helps hold the cloth in place.
- Place a heating pad or a hot water bottle on it. Heat helps inflamed tissues absorb the essential compounds effectively. If using a heating pad, makes sure to adjust the setting to a level that won’t cause burns.
- Add another layer of towel to insulate the heat source.
- Leave for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Remove the pack and put the fabric back to the glass jar. Store it in a cool dry place.
- Wipe off excess oil. Use a mix of baking soda and warm water to remove oil left on the skin. Otherwise, use a regular soap to cleanse the skin.
Best Way to Relieve Body Pains and Arthritis
Don’t let yourself suffer from discomfort caused by body pains and arthritis. Try castor oil packs today and experience incredible castor oil pack benefits. You can purchase a ready-to-use kit or make your own. When doing this method at home, always choose pure and organic castor oil. It should be cold pressed and chemical-free. This type of castor oil has the greatest amounts of nutrients. It is safe and effective to use for castor oil packs.