What are Castor Oil Supplements?
Castor oil supplements are soft gel capsules that contain castor oil. Most brands contain cold pressed castor oil that is pharmaceutical grade. This type of castor oil has undergone deodorization and bleaching. It is usually pale in color.
Taking a regular dose of castor oil supplement has great benefits. It may improve skin conditions and intestinal health. It helps lessen buildup of toxins inside your body. These toxins could be factors of poor skin conditions and irregular bowel movement.
Each castor oil capsule may contain about 650mg to 725mg of castor oil. Other producers create their unique formula. They add ingredients like fennel oil. This essential oil promotes respiratory function and healthy digestion too.
Castor oil supplements contain ricinoleic acid. This fatty acid works as a stimulant laxative. It helps speed up muscle movement in your colon. At the same time, it functions as a lubricant. It reduces fluid absorption in the intestines. This softens the stool for easier excretion.
Benefits of Castor Oil Supplement:
- Helps maintain clean and healthy colon
- Promotes a healthy digestive system
- Helps ease bowel movement
- Improves skin complexion
- Relieves dry flaky skin (when applied externally)
- Relieves dry and weak hair (when applied externally)
Standard Castor Oil vs. Castor Oil Supplement
Nourishment from within – that’s the advantage of castor oil supplement. It delivers lots of vitamins to your body. It improves skin health and boosts important body functions. Most brands contain castor oil that is hexane free and cold pressed. They are safe and effective to use.
In terms of purity, a bottle of castor oil has a more pure quality. It comes in natural form without additives. Castor oil capsules may contain other ingredients like gelatin and glycerin. It may have water too. A pure castor oil product does not contain any fillers or additives.
A single castor oil capsule may contain about 0.26 fl. oz. (725mg) of castor oil. This is half of the minimum recommended dose for adults to relieve constipation.
Here are general rules for taking castor oil as a laxative for your reference.
- Adults and children age 12 and above: 0.5 – 2.0 fl. oz. (15-60 mL)
- Children age 2 to 11 years: 0.17 – 0.5 fl. oz. (5-15 mL)
- Children below 2 years: .034 – 0.17 fl. oz. (1-5 mL)
How to Take Castor Oil Supplement
When taking castor oil supplements, you should always follow the recommended dosage. You can check the label, stickers, or packaging for this information. Otherwise, visit their website or get their contact details. Ask customer support for information.
Some brands may advise 1 to 2 capsules a day with meals or as needed. It is important not to exceed the recommended dose. If in doubt, you may consult a health professional and seek medical advice.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women should not take castor oil supplements. This product may not be suitable for people experiencing any gastric or intestinal disorders. Always consult a qualified health practitioner.
- Do not use this supplement for other purposes such as weight loss unless prescribed by your physician. Food supplements should not substitute a proper diet.
- Discontinue use immediately in case of upset stomach. You may experience abdominal pain, diarrhea, or vomiting. If symptoms persist, call your doctor immediately.
Both castor oil supplement and the standard form of castor oil are effective laxatives. They both work to help ease constipation. Picking a suitable product will depend on your lifestyle and personal choice. Do you travel a lot? Do you want a pure product? A bottle of capsules or a bottle of liquid is both fine for hand carry. If you are going to a vacation, work, or staying at home, these products can help you.
With castor oil products like these supplements, you can enjoy the laxative effect of castor oil. Just make sure to take them at right amounts. Proper and safe use is the first step to positive results. Bring them anytime, anywhere you want for your regular or emergency use.